For those of us in Wisconsin, specifically the Fox Cities, if we haven’t noticed it in ourselves, we can definitely see that everyone around us has Cabin Fever. The weather has been bitter cold with constant snow since before winter had even officially begun. Symptoms of Cabin Fever usually range from boredom to anxiousness about traveling to the high intense urge to run away from any little problem that occurs on a daily basis. Sure, there are many more symptoms made up in this more sever version of the “Winter Blues”. All of us could use a little pick me up to feel like ourselves again.
Suggested Healing for Cabin Fever:
1. Breathe – First thing when you wake up in the morning, take 3 conscious breaths as slow and steadily as you can. Make each breath full, and imagine breathing in the feeling of joy, laughter, peace and light. On each exhale, breathe out any negative thoughts, complaints, body aches, worries, etc. Make sure to end your rounds of breath on a positive thought.
2. Write it Out – Take a post it. On the top line write the word ” Focus “. Write out three words (one on each line) that represent a feeling you wish to have more focus on. (i.e. confidence, passion, motivation, self-love, compassion, courage, etc)
3. Stretch the Body & Mind – Yep, of course, YOGA! However, if you are new to yoga..don’t let the word itself scare you out of trying it. Do a Basic full body stretch, following the breath. Lay on your back, reach the legs out long and on your inhale take the arms up overhead feeling your ENTIRE body stretch out long. On the exhale, kindly bring your arms back at your sides. Do this until you start to feel a bit lighter in the body and the mind.
4. Juice – If you don’t have a juicer, that’s okay (definitely consider buying one in the near future). As long as you’re getting some nutrients before you day officially continues, you will be ready and motivated. I recommend having an Apple (my favorite are Fuji or Washington Apples) and or a Banana with some granola and almond milk. A decent size breakfast (whenever your morning begins) is the key to keeping the energy alive throughout the day.
5. Smile – Keep smiling. Even if you have to force the corners of your mouth up to your eyelids, do it! The more we practice something, the more likely it becomes natural for us to make it apart of our daily life! Plus, maybe cliche, but smiling is contagious!
Whether the above suggestions are taken into your life every day or in those times of need, know that they will help you keep life simple and light. Life doesn’t have to be so serious. Even in those most trying of times and we could definitely all use the reminder from others as well as ourselves.